Thursday, February 16, 2017

Noirsville Tune Of The week

The incomparable Tom Waits


Blue Valentines

She sends me blue valentines all the way from Philadelphia
to mark the anniversary of someone that I used to be
And it feels like a warrant is out for my arrest
baby you got me checkin in my rearview mirror
thats why I'm always on the run it's why I changed my name
and I didn't think you'd ever find me here

to send me blue valentines like half forgotten dreams
like a pebble in my shoe as I walk these streets
and the ghost of your memory baby its the thistle in the kiss
its the burglar that can break a rose's neck
its the tatooed broken promise I gotta hide beneath my sleeve
I'm gonna see you every time I turn my back

oh you send me blue valentines though I try to remain at large
they're insisting that our love must have a eulogy
why do I save all this madness here in the nightstand drawer
there to haunt upon my shoulders
baby I know I'd be luckier to walk around everywhere I go
with this blind and broken heart
that sleeps beneath my lapel

instead these blue valentines to remind me of my cardinal sin
i can never wash the guilt or get these bloodstains off my hands
and it takes a whole lot of whiskey to make these nightmares go away
and I cut my bleedin heart out every night and I'm gonna die just a little more
on each St. Valentine's day
don't you remember I promised I would write you

these blue valentines
blue valentines
blue valentines

No comments:

Post a Comment