Saturday, May 14, 2016

Noirsville Tune Of The week

Another Aural Noir, this time from Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. 

My particular mainstreet  was 7th Avenue and I used to watch the dancers through the glass at The Metropole Cafe.  It was  originally a jazz club that operated in New York from the mid-1950s through 1965 when it switched to a topless gogo bar. They then painted the front window black leaving a small circular opening through which you could watch the dancers who were up behind the bar.

You can see the progression from club to Topless GoGo bar below.





So turn out the light lay your head back and go down to Mainstreet.



Mainstreet

I remember standing on the corner at midnight 
Trying to get my courage up 
There was this long lovely dancer in a little club downtown 
I loved to watch her do her stuff 
Through the long lonely nights she filled my sleep 
Her body softly swaying to that smoky beat 
Down on Mainstreet 

In the pool halls, the hustlers and the losers 
I used to watch 'em through the glass 
Well I'd stand outside at closing time 
Just to watch her walk on past 
Unlike all the other ladies, she looked so young and sweet 
As she made her way alone down that empty street 
Down on Mainstreet 

And sometimes even now, when I'm feeling lonely and beat 
I drift back in time and I find my feet 
Down on Mainstreet 
Down on Mainstreet

No comments:

Post a Comment